by Deb Witter
The contents of this web site are for informational/educational purposes only. This site is not intended to furnish medical advice to anyone. Any diagnosis, treatment or care of a patient should be discussed with a physician. See legal page for more information. Please print out this page through your browser for medical consultation.
Häggström, Mikael. “Medical gallery of Mikael Häggström 2014“. Wikiversity Journal of Medicine 1
Metabolic acidosis is a condition that arises when the body generates too much acid or when the organs, which are liable for the elimination of acidic radicals, cannot remove or neutralize enough acids from the organism. What causes the body to be acidic? The main factors are:
- The production of too many acidic substances, such as carbonic acid, lactic acid, ketenes (a pungent, toxic, colorless gas), by human cells
- The production of too many acidic substances by microorganisms that reside inside the body, for example, constant fermentation in case of dysbiosis (Candida-yeast overgrowth or small intestine bacterial overgrowth – SIBO)
- The consumption of processed, acid-forming foods such as sugars, sodas, white flour, white rice, red meat
- Acute or chronic intoxication from acid producing substances including alcohol, chemicals, some acidosis-forming medications
- Low or improper function of the lungs, kidneys, liver and GI organs.
- Dehydration and/or poor microcirculation
- Low capacity of buffer systems in the blood, mainly a low capacity of bicarbonate buffer [1.]
What can be done about this silent epidemic and precursor of disease?
Changing your mind and view of what should be considered food is the first step towards health. The first barrier in attaining this awareness is the food lobby that works very hard to keep us hooked on the foods they produce for massive profits.
…“inescapable fact is that certain people are making an awful lot of money today selling foods that are unhealthy. They want you to keep eating the foods they sell, even though doing so makes you fat, depletes your vitality and shortens and degrades your life. They want you docile, compliant and ignorant.” 
Below is an acid alkaline chart illustrating foods and the pH level. Ideally neutral to more alkaline is where you want to be.
Chart courtesy of http://alkaline-diet.info/infographics/acidic-foods-vs-alkaline-foods/
Acid Alkaline Connection to Health
pH controls the speed of our body’s biochemical reactions. A high ph = more resistance. A low pH = less resistance. Acid pH is hot and fast, alkaline pH is cool and slow.
The pH balance of the human bloodstream is recognized by all medical physiology texts as one of the most important biochemical balances in all of human body chemistry.
Here is an example of how pH can control. Look around you at society in general. Do you see people getting exhausted and burned out? Quick to anger? Unsettled minds? Overweight? In part it could be due to the fact that people today are running too “hot and fast” in key biological compartments of their body. On the flip side, they could also be running too cool or slow. 
How did we get here? We guzzle coffee for breakfast, donuts for brunch, fries for lunch, wash it down with king size colas, and end the day with microwaved grub or pizza for dinner. Or, we buy into the latest diet ideas that are just not right for our biological individuality. This onslaught of questionable dietary choices leads to the second part of the pH and digestive metabolic equation. pH is under the direct control of what we put into our mouths. Kind of makes sense doesn’t? [3.]
The bad news is that genetically modified grains have really wrecked our food supply and bodies. Wheat in particular is destructive to mental health and function. Over 80% of the people I meet today are pre-diabetic or diabetic. In an effort to reduce blood sugar, I asked patients to remove all wheat products from their diet based on the simple fact that, with few exceptions, foods made of wheat flour raise blood sugar higher than nearly all other foods. Yes, that’s true for even whole grains. More than table sugar, more than a Snickers bar. Organic, multigrain, sprouted–it makes no difference. Dr. William Davis, author of Wheat Belly.
But it was the other results that took me by surprise:
- Weight loss of 25 to 30 lbs over several months
- Marked improvement or total relief from arthritis
- Improvement in asthma sufficient to chuck 2 or 3 inhalers
- Complete relief from acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome symptoms
- Disappearance of leg swelling and numbness
- Increased mental clarity, deeper sleep, and more stable moods and emotions
I witnessed incredible experiences like the 26-year old man incapacitated by full-body joint pains who started to jog again, pain-free. And the 38-year old schoolteacher who, just weeks before her surgeon scheduled colon removal and ileostomy bag, experienced a cure from ulcerative colitis and intestinal hemorrhage and stopped all medications. Dr. William Davis.
Buying this book could be one of the smartest health steps to take in starting your health journey! http://goo.gl/ilYUT2
We gave up wheat during our daughter’s treatment, finding health benefits far in excess of what we expected. It’s hard to believe until you actually experience it for yourself. Warning- you do go through withdrawal from wheat that lasts three weeks. Get through that and you are free!
Do you know what factory farming is? Have you heard this term before?
A factory farm is a large, industrial operation that raises large numbers of animals for food. Over 99% of farm animals in the U.S. are raised in factory farms, which focus on profit and efficiency at the expense of the animals’ welfare and human health. Factory farms pack animals into spaces so tight that most can barely move. Many have no access to the outdoors, spending their lives on open warehouse floors, or housed in cages or pens. Without the room to engage in natural behaviors, confined animals experience severe physical and mental distress. 
The photo above is a chicken farm with the chickens packed like sardines. Except the chickens are not dead. Its no wonder that e-coli is one of the problems associated with this type of farming. I won’t show you the cow or pig photos because they are too gross.
This dry description does not encompass the horrors of what actually exists under these circumstances. In many places facial respirators have to be worn by employees because the concentrated waste products are so dense the ammonia makes it impossible to breath. Beaks, tails from pigs, horns from cows are all chopped off due to confinement so tight, they cause bodily harm to each other. The pig’s tails are cut off due to aggression from stress where the pigs will bite tails off, and ears and any other parts that they can.
Many of these animals naturally eat grass, but in captivity such as these, the only food they are allowed to eat is GMO corn and soy. This diet causes acidosis in these animals, which in turn delivers meat to our table that is unnaturally high in acid. Here begins a decline in health for humans. On top of all that, high doses of antibiotics have to be administered to these animals from living in such filth. Bacteria become stronger from constantly being exposed to antibiotics with the result being the actual cause of super bugs. Humans are given the same antibiotics animals receive and because of this cycle the antibiotics are no longer working, which is a medical disaster.
This industry is so tightly controlled that it is now a crime to use undercover cameras of any kind on factory farms in seven states in America. If that is not a sign of crimes being committed I do not know what is.
In the body, essential fatty acids are primarily used to produce hormone-like substances that regulate a wide range of functions including blood pressure, blood clotting, blood lipid levels, immune response and the inflammation response to injury or infection.
I would say that cancer and its treatment could be considered injury response. At least that is how I see it. You have cells acting in a manner that is not normal so we use chemical cocktails to kill them. There is injury or death to those cells and collateral damage to healthy cells as well. From this simple premise it seems logical that a cancer patient could actually need these healthy oils more than the average person.
By far the best seed oils are Olive, Flaxseed and Walnut. Healthy fats are essential fatty acids, which are obtained from certain fish and plants. These essential oils are omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9. (Please note that we already get too much omega-6 through meat consumption due to feeding ALL livestock soy. Soy is high in Omega-6 and per Dr. Servan-Shrieber leads to inflammation and disease. Therefore all people need to supplement their diet with omega-3, which are Fax oil or Walnut oil and cook with Olive oil. .) An adult dose per the label is 1 tablespoon a day.
Based on this information I decided to start my daughter on a teaspoon of organic flax oil in her daily protein shake. Lets face it there are many questions regarding diet and what foods are best. My strategy was to try and target exact symptoms with specific nutrients targeting that symptom. The oil seemed to help ease the worst symptoms of chemo brain within one week. We also quit eating wheat and doubled our vegetable consumption.
Actions towards healthy living and Clearer Thinking
* Exercise every day and if not used to any exercise start with 5 minutes a day and build up to an hour – six days a week!
* Include Calcium, Magnesium and vitamin D3 as part of your daily routine.
* Make sure you get a good amount of green leafy vegetables twice a day for ingestion of vitamin K, which also helps absorption of calcium, magnesium and vitamin D3.
* Adding some squeezed lemon into your daily water helps to alkalize the body as well as provide additional support to the liver and other systems.
*Use olive or flax oil in salad dressings or supplement with organic flax oil.
* Get off wheat and wheat-based products. This will have a profound impact on mental clarity after one has gone through the three-week withdrawal phase.
Keep in mind that it takes time for the body to repair and improve. Now that my daughter is a five-year survivor we have seen incredible improvement over time. Yes, there are still mental gaps and pitfalls but overall she has learned how to compensate and improve. Chemo-brain is no longer ruining her quality of life. That is the final goal, improving quality of life.
Attaining health in our modern day world is not as easy as it would seem as the food we eat has changed drastically in the last 33 years and continues to change due to modern factory farming methods. What used to be healthy is now dangerous to our health. The only way to overcome these is to get educated on this subject. Hopefully I have inspired you to follow this new path.
- J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas Peter Melamed and Felix Melamed Biotherapy Clinic of San Francisco, USA http://pancreas.imedpub.com/chronic-metabolic-acidosis-destroys-pancreas.pdf
- Colin Campbell, The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health
- How You Rot & Rust http://biomedx.com/microscopes/rrintro/rr1.html Internet July 2015